History of Grace Lutheran Church
January 1945 because of the longing of its members to have a church of their own, it was resolved to organize into a congregation and call it Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church. A building lot in the Village of Osoyoos was purchased for $900.00 at 8505 85th St. at the corner of 70th Avenue in Osoyoos.
January 18, 1945 the first meeting of Grace Lutheran Ladies Aid was held at the home of Frau Jacob Harfman.There were 10 ladies present.
In the summer of 1946 the ladies organized the first church picnic.
In November 1946 construction of the new church began.
On Good Friday 1947 the final service was held at St. Anne’s Hall, one of various locations services were held.
At last the basement of Grace Lutheran Church was ready and the first service was held there on Easter Sunday April 6, 1947. Soon, as funds were available, the inside of the church was completed with the help of members from Grace Lutheran and St. Paul’s at a savings of around $1,000 in labor costs.
April 22, 1947 the congregation was organized and a meeting of the first officers was held in the basement of Grace Lutheran Church. Carl Fesser Chairman, Albert Marsland Treasurer, William Sengotta Secretary.
Sunday October 22, 1948 the church was completed and dedicated to the Glory of God.
July 22, 1945 – 1949 Pastor Herbert W. Schaan of Kamloops served at Grace.
1981 was the last year that German Services were held at Grace.
October 4, 1981 was the ground breaking of the present Grace Lutheran Church.
September 12, 1982 the new Grace Lutheran Church is complete and the congregation held its first service with the sermon stating with pride – The Lord has done it.Pastor Donald Tonack preached
what the congregation already felt, that the building was put together by the Grace of God and that its
accomplishment is a beginning of a new spiritual growth. About 215 people attended the service, not
even filling the seating area. In the old church, which seated about 80 per sons, this attendance would have been impossible.
January 15, 1986 the Joint Council of Grace and St. Paul agreed to recommend to the voters that the parish be split into two separate parishes, each being served by its own pastor.
January 23, 1986 at a Voters Meeting, Grace voters voted in favor of Grace Lutheran Church joining Lutheran Church Canada. Voters approved to split the parish.
February 13, 1986 ABC District granted searate parish status to both Grace and St. Paul Lutheran Church.
December 1989 at a Voters meeting Rudy and Rush Knippleberg and Wayne Miller were the motivaters for a Lutheran Day School for Kindergarten to Grade 3 at Grace Lutheran Church. The school was to begin in September 1990. A motion was made and carried during that meeting approving of the school.
September 4, 1990 Good Shepherd Christian School opened its doors with 11 student and soon 2 more were added.
Pastors Who Have Served the Congregation
Rev. Carl Pfotenhauer 1927 – 1928
Rev. W. Poehler (student) 1927 – 1928
Rev. Wm. L. Zersen 1928 – 1936
Rev H. W. Schaan 1945 – 1951
Rev. W. M. Frick 1949 – 1951
Rev. A. F. Reiner 1952 – 1956
Rev. A. Krahenbil 1950 – 1980
Rev. D. Tonack 1980 – 1986
Rev. S. Redenbach 1986 – 1995
Rev. R. Buck 1996 – 2000
Rev. C. Cooley 2000 – 2010
Rev. D. Siegle 2011 - Present